Re: egrep moved to /usr/sbin

* Robert Lemmen (robertle@semistable.com) wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 02:10:56PM -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > I'd move them back but change them to be the same binary again instead
> > of three seperate ones that just take up disk space for no real gain.
>
> and file the bugs? perhaps with a low severity?

Sure, file bugs against things that hardcord paths to binaries.
Personally I don't mind scripts having PATH= set since they can at times
be run both by non-root users and by root users who may want
/usr/local/bin in general but not for scripts due to the possibility of
changing behaviour.  (ie: A new version of df comes out and the root
users wants to have it installed because it produces nice, but
different, output, so s/he compiles and installs it to /usr/local/bin;
some script which depends on the output of df then breaks, not fun; I've
had this happen on non-Debian systems before)

I don't know the perfect solution to make everyone happy but I know I
wouldn't be against a, say, /etc/default/environment with sane defaults
but which root can modify if he wants something like /usr/local/bin in
the PATH for scripts.

	Stephen