Re: ANNC: New Debbugs

On 03-Jan-03, 06:13 (CST), Mark Howard <mh@tildemh.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-01-01 at 16:54, Steve Greenland wrote:
> > * A way to programatically access BTS content w/o parsing HTML. A
> > specified schema, whether it's XML, LDAP, SQL, whatever.
>
> This would be very useful. I'd suggest xml, since it's probably the
> easiest (it's essentially the web frontend with a different layout),

Probably, altbough any reliably parseable format with the current state
of the bug would be sufficient. Bonus points for history on each field
(title, severity, tags, etc.)

> My design did involve parsing the html for the simple reason that it
> would work and wouldn't be difficult to implement.

Oh, yeah, working from the HTML is certainly feasable, it's just a PITA
and very fragile - if a system that uses the HTML comes into wide use,
it makes it hard for the BTS maintainers to tweak the web presentation.

> In terms of manipulating bugs, I personally feel that the best approach
> is for the system to generate emails to be sent...

Agree completely.

If you ever continue to work on your system, I'd be happy to be a guinea
pig for it.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland