Re: Suggested press release in reaction to RHAT dropping sparc and alpha

Op do 02-01-2003, om 18:18 schreef Russell Coker:
> On Thu, 2 Jan 2003 18:00, Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:
> >  - it is very likely that if an architecture is not kept alive in
> > Debian, it is really dead. I mean, really really. It is unlikely
> > (probably even practically impossible) that at one point a few core
> > developers decide 'and now we stop architecture X', as long as
> > interested people can be found who would take over.
> >
> > I have quite some confidence that the second argument holds for the next
> > few years; enough so that I would recommend Debian as the distribution
> > of choice, especially on strange hardware.
>
> Yes, we still support M68K even though no-one seems to have made any suitable
> hardware for many years.
>
> M68K machines had slow CPUs (not like Alpha) and didn't tend to have the IO
> capacity of SPARC machines either.

Moreover, m68k macs are dogslow when accessing hard disks. Using
diskspace via the network is usually faster, even when using a 10Mbit
network (not that using a 100Mbit network would be possible, or help;
the average m68k mac can't even handle the full bandwidth of a 10Mbit
network)

So yes, using Debian is a safe bet if you're into supporting old and/or
outdated hardware.

--
wouter at grep dot be

"Human knowledge belongs to the world"