Re: Common (basic) security checks for a base installation? (was Re: Security notification script in Perl)

On Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 11:19:43AM -0600, Steve Greenland wrote:
> On 28-Dec-02, 14:54 (CST), Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
> > I was completely surpised to see that installing cron also installed
> > several scripts that served completely different agendas.
>
> What, besides checksecurity, are you thinking of here? I suppose the
> backups of /etc/{passwd,shadow,group,gshadow} and the dpkg status file
> could be put in basefiles and dpkg, but that would make cron "essential:
> yes",

I don't see why; base-passwd and dpkg could install crontabs which would
only be used if cron was installed, without having to depend on cron.
The effect would be the same as the current arrangement.

> So, while I might not choose to add these functions to a cron package
> I started from scratch, I don't see them as particular problems.

Agreed.