Re: Common (basic) security checks for a base installation? (was Re: Security notification script in Perl)

On 28-Dec-02, 14:54 (CST), Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
> I was completely surpised to see that installing cron also installed
> several scripts that served completely different agendas.

What, besides checksecurity, are you thinking of here? I suppose the
backups of /etc/{passwd,shadow,group,gshadow} and the dpkg status file
could be put in basefiles and dpkg, but that would make cron "essential:
yes", which doesn't seem like a good idea, or require a completely new
package, which seems rather pointless. The check for files in lost+found
is pretty trivial. So, while I might not choose to add these functions
to a cron package I started from scratch, I don't see them as particular
problems.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland