Re: Common (basic) security checks for a base installation? (was Re: Security notification script in Perl)

Javier Fern?ndez-Sanguino Pe?a <jfs@computer.org> [2002-12-26 10:30:38 +0100]:
> The checksecurity script in the cron package is a good start, but is
> clearly not sufficient (and the name is also misleading, see Bug #163813).

I was completely surpised to see that installing cron also installed
several scripts that served completely different agendas.  It seems
that the cron package aquired more "riders" than a bill through the US
congress!  Those should not be part of a basic cron installation.
They would be fine in their own package, however.

This is what Steve had to say about it in Bug #163813

Steve Greenland <steveg@moregruel.net> writes:
> The "checksecurity" part of cron is a big joke. It's completely out of
> place, and has been so neutered by complainers over the years that I'm
> planning on separating it out of cron and then orphaning the package.
> The tricky part is getting the conffile safely moved, which is why I
> haven't done it earlier.
>
> Steve

Bob