Re: Removing openuniverse in favor of celestia (keep a virtual package?)

On Fri, 2002-12-27 at 13:54, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> Since Openuniverse is no longer maintained upstream and celestia is
> already in Debian (and does the same as Openuniverse and much more) I have
> filed a bug to ftp.debian.org to request its removal.
>
> However, I have seen the popularity contest results and it seems to be
> quite popular. Should I create a package that just Depends: on Celestia to
> force the upgrade or should it just be removed from the archive?
>
> Just wondering what other DD think should be done in this case.

IANADD bug I hope I'm allowed to think, too :-)

IMHO automatic replacement by using dependencies on a transition package
should only occur if the replacement is possible in place. Of course,
this is a lot less important for non-scriptable programs (or probrams
not usually used in scripts).

Perhaps do a 'last' update of the old pkg with a debconf notice advising
people that celestia should be used instead. Removal of the package
could then occur after a few months (after sarge?)

cheers
-- vbi

--
featured link: http://fortytwo.ch/gpg/subkeys