Re: idea: unclear purge cleanup package

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 08:29:14PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:

> I was wandering around in /etc on a system and found quite a few relics
> of old postrm's gone bad. Broken /etc/alternitives links, dangling
> symlinks in directories that nothing owned, etc. The annoying thing was
> I know what packages were at fault, but they were all long ago purged
> from the system, and their broken postrm scripts left this stuff behind.

On a related note, I suspect there are a lot of broken postrm scripts still
lying in wait on Debian systems, where old (and/or buggy) packages have been
removed but not purged, and their postrm will interact in bad ways with the
currently installed packages.  This is especially tricky when postrms remove
config files, drop databases, and other potentially destructive things.

--
 - mdz