Re: Suggested press release in reaction to RHAT dropping sparc and alpha

Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 26, 2002 at 12:46:23PM +0100, Martin Schulze wrote:
> > Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:
> > > So I read in OSNews today[1] that Red Hat is dropping support for the
> > > alpha and sparc architectures.  I think we should let it be widely known
> > > that we still support sparc and alpha users 100%  Maybe something like
> > > this...
> >
> > I don't exactly like this sort of propaganda. It doesn't sound correct
> > or fair to me to send out press releases that reply to other vendors'
> > press releases and directly intend to grab users from them.
>
> 	I also doubt this is a good time to make such an announcement.
> After all, we don't make many announcements any more (see
> http://www.debian.org/News/ and compare its content versus previous years,
> i.e. 1999). This means that our announcements should be "big" in nature
> (i.e. a release).

I need to object here slightly.  Our announcements should not be
limited to release announces.  However, it needs to be decided
carefully what to send out and when to send it out.  Too much mail
could potentially render the list(s) too verbose and drop the
importance level.

I also plan to restart sending event announcements out again next year
and I need to find a method to rate external events and information
whether they are worth being (re)posted on the debian-news mailing
list.  This was easier in former times when Debian was not that well
known and supported.  Every external mentioning was important.  Today
many uses and namings are quite normal and nothing worth reporting
anymore.  One of the drawbacks of being popular? :)

Regards,

	Joey

--
Life is a lot easier when you have someone to share it with.  -- Sean Perry