Re: Suggested press release in reaction to RHAT dropping sparc and alpha

On Thu, Dec 26, 2002 at 12:46:23PM +0100, Martin Schulze wrote:
> Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:
> > So I read in OSNews today[1] that Red Hat is dropping support for the
> > alpha and sparc architectures.  I think we should let it be widely known
> > that we still support sparc and alpha users 100%  Maybe something like
> > this...
>
> I don't exactly like this sort of propaganda. It doesn't sound correct
> or fair to me to send out press releases that reply to other vendors'
> press releases and directly intend to grab users from them.

	I also doubt this is a good time to make such an announcement.
After all, we don't make many announcements any more (see
http://www.debian.org/News/ and compare its content versus previous years,
i.e. 1999). This means that our announcements should be "big" in nature
(i.e. a release).
	Remembering users that we are supporting sparc/alpha is not on the
same level as telling them that we are ready for release. IMHO.

	Javi