Re: Is Sid for broken stuff? Is it too much to ask for testing the packages?

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 03:07:24AM +0100, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> i asume a fairly large number work in unstable or testing anyway. Hmm..
> wonder if popcon can answer me that.

I know I do, on my home machine and more than ten workstations and about
ten servers at my company.

Repeating the mantra "unstable is not for general use" does not make it
true. I think the people who love Debian the most are probably not
patiently waiting more than a year for the next stable to appear.
They'll have discovered the power of apt (and recently apt-listchanges
and the other thing which shows bugs before you're installing them.
amazing!)

The real power of Debian is in the enormous number of packages, in
reading something about a package on a news site and getting lucky just
apt-get installing it 3 out of 4 times.

"testing" could have been/will be the ideal distribution for lots of
people, but for me, the occasional need to add an "exit 0" to a
postgresql prerm file, or to do without mozilla-snapshot for one day is
still preferable to having to backport stuff.

I'd like to see Debian follow (probably through "testing") the XP motto
that everything should be ready for release, all of the time.

--
Bart.