Re: Is Sid for broken stuff? Is it too much to ask for testing the packages?

On Wednesday 11 December 2002 17:35, Steve Langasek wrote:

> If the possibility of eat-your-system bugs in unstable could cost you
> important data or lead to expensive downtime, *don't run unstable on
> those systems*!  Being a developer and helping turn unstable into stable
> doesn't mean letting bugs affect your work.

Indeed.  Colin Walters (or is it Chris Waters) hasa wonderful howto on his
people.d.o site about how to setup a Debian chroot with debootstrap and
getty.  So tty6's getty will log you into a chroot'ed unstable system and say
tty5 could get you into a chroot'ed testing system all the while you are
actually running stable for your day to day tasks.  He even explains how to
setup gdm so your X sessions are run from within the chroot.

Yes some people need to test more.  Yes it would be a good thing.  But until
we all magically get 5 - 10 hours more a week to dedicate to this project how
about everyone just help out, report the issues found and trying to be
positive.