Re: location of UnicodeData.txt

On Sat, Nov 30, 2002 at 12:35:25PM -0500, Jim Penny wrote:

> > I think you are missing the points here.
> >
> > First of all, DFSG applied to the standard does not want to change the standard,
> > but wants all to be able to change the text of the standard.
>
> Huh?  If I change the text of the standard, I have changed the standard!

No you haven't, only the standards body in question can do that.
There are all sorts of reasons why you might wish to create derivative
works based on the standard -- a new standard for a different purpose, for
example. Or helpful documentation of the standard for people who are
intimidated by the 'dry' nature of the original...

> On the other hand,  if you wish to create a competitor to the unicode
> standard, say the debicode standard, I see no moral right that you have
> to incorporate, without permission, the unicode standard.  You should
> expect to start from scratch!

Engage brain. Do you think that if I want to create a competitor to, say,
GNU Emacs, that I should expect to have to start from scratch? Or fetchmail?
Or any one of the thousands of DFSG-free packages that are in main?

Cheers,

Nick
--
Nick Phillips -- nwp@lemon-computing.com
Tomorrow will be cancelled due to lack of interest.