Re: location of UnicodeData.txt

* Jim Penny <jpenny@universal-fasteners.com> [021128 03:35]:
> So, according to Branden, international standards are supposed to allow
> debian the right to modify them and to distribute the modified versions.
> Absent said permission, which is hardly ever going to be given,  they
> must be considered non-free.  (This is, of course, logically forthright.)
> Moreover, according to the non-free removal proponents, we should not
> even distribute the un-modified copies of these files.
>
> Yet, unicode is supposed to be the canonical character encoding scheme
> for debian.
>
> Does this mean every unicode text editor belongs in contrib (depends on
> something non-free)?

I think you are missing the points here.

First of all, DFSG applied to the standard does not want to change the standard,
but wants all to be able to change the text of the standard.

This is a good thing, the text of standards should be modifiable. How else
shall someone write the following standard without having written the first
or having to write all from scratch?

Secondly: What has a unicode editor have to do with the unicode
standard? It should only implement it. If it would contain parts
of the standard-text (tables or whatever) that were protected by
copyright law and the standard would allow no modifications, then noone
would be allowed to copy the editor. (No special problem with debian)

Hochachtungsvoll,
  Bernhard R. Link

--
<gEistiO> sagen wir mal...ich hab alle sourcen in /lost+found/waimea
<me> gEistiO: [...] Warum lost+found?