Re: DAM approval wait time?

On Thu, 28 Nov 2002 11:58:38 +1100
Andrew Lau <netsnipe@debianplanet.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 12:21:40PM -0800, Jim Lynch wrote:
> > > 	A bit hypocritical of you pointing out that I was
> > > participating in my own thread late.
> >
> > Not at all. The thread I refer to is the now-very-large "Are we
> > losing users to Gentoo" thread, which you have not participated in
> > since your inception of it.
>
> I was referring to your own post to my "DAM approval wait time"
> outburst. Before this email, I had made some attempt at contributing
> to the discussion with two posts in the little free time I have.

Unless you think it's actually useful, perhaps you shouldn't start
a thread you know you can't participate in. If you're not even willing
to read from it, I continue to question your maturity.

> > Lots of material in that thread... should we expect some of it to be
> > used at DP and some in your exit thesis? Sorry, but I'm not putting
> > this past you.
>
> I no longer write articles or editorials for Debian Planet

Why not?

> and I have
> never done or never will start a debate on a mailing list as a flimsy
> excuse for writing an article.

Then why did you start a discussion you couldn't participate in?

> Like you and everyone else here, I too
> am entitled to form an opinion of my own and be able to express them
> in a public forum.

I think you should participate in discussions you start. That's just
one example of responsibility; it would have shown that you tend to
finish what you start.

> > > I have to ask, are you pursuing some kind of vendetta against me?
> > > I can't explain why else you are digging everything you know about
> > > me and using whatever I may have said on #debian years ago against
> > > me.
> >
> > All I'm doing in the post you replied to is asking the question
> > "What exactly do you intend to do as a debian developer?", a
> > question reflected in the process of your NM app. You should simply
> > answer it.
>
> I have answered already this question. I package and maintain software
> for Debian GNU/Linux.
>
> > On the other hand, seeing the thread you started with material you
> > -know- to be inflamitory, I am led to question your maturity. As I
> > mention below, however, the ensuing discussion may lead to some good
> > results.
>
> Aren't you deliberately inflaming me right now?
>
> > Good, but some of your other statements contradict this...
> >
> >    I might as well stop telling others that Debian is more
> >    than just a distribution, but a community and just throw my packages
> >    out the window.
> >
> > And here's a statement that shows intent to produce a flame war:
> >
> >    Bring on the fucking flame-war. Something has to burn. Might as well
> >    be me.
> >
> > Both of these from Message-ID:
> > <20021023083617.GA17035@espresso>. And that is from -this- thread.
> >
> > PLEASE grow up.
>
> Thanks to the silent treatment I am receiving from the DAM and barrage
> of abuse directed at me from people such as yourself and others in
> #debian-devel I really do question if my participation in the Debian
> community is respected or my mere presence is welcome. That thread was
> just one of those moments when I have come close to just walking away
> from it all.
>
> > Summary, I'm not so happy with your present level of maturity and a
> > few of your actions as a result, but I also see you're making some
> > effort.
>
> You have some nerve there Jim flaunting your arrogance like that. I
> have tried to reply to you in a rational and polite manner, but I have
> come to the conclusion that no matter what I say or do, you will
> continue to harass me in public.

I might, as long as you fail to participate in that by-now-horribly-long
flamewar and discussion you started. Funny how you don't mention the good
things I have said about your potential. I don't think you read the whole
posts I make, just as much as I don't believe you don't read the replies
to posts made to your original post about Gentoo.

> You have no right to judge me

Actually, all developers gained that right when you submitted your app.
If you didn't want to be subjected to scrutiny, you shouldn't have
applied. It's as simple as that. If you think you're not in good company
with you not being approved yet, GO LOOK AT THE NEW MAINT LIST; you will
find Richard M. Stallman's app. Fact is, you're actually FURTHER than him
in the new maint process; he's stuck for some reason.

In fact, you seem to be in... your AM has approved you...

> and I
> will no longer entertain your perverted sense of enjoyment in
> attempting to humiliate and belittle people in public.

Again, (continue to) grow up :P and REALLY read what I wrote.

I think it might help when you do go back and read to assume
I'm speaking in a fairly moderate tone. I'm not bellowing at
you, I'm trying to wake you up. Because once you are awake,
you'll make a fine developer.

> Good day.
>
> Andrew "Netsnipe" Lau

-Jim