Re: location of UnicodeData.txt

On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 04:23:51PM -0500, Jim Penny wrote:
> So, according to Branden, international standards are supposed to allow
> debian the right to modify them and to distribute the modified versions.
> Absent said permission, which is hardly ever going to be given,  they
> must be considered non-free.  (This is, of course, logically forthright.)
> Moreover, according to the non-free removal proponents, we should not
> even distribute the un-modified copies of these files.

I raised this issue not long ago, on this mailing list. See thread
starting from Message-ID <[🔎] 20021111222711.GA25561@snoopy.apana.org.au>.
(sorry, I don't know how to convert this to a URL on lists.debian.org).

Just out of curiosity, are documents like the DFSG distrubuted with
Debian?

If so, are you allowed to modify them?

(I assume documents like the GPL, being licenses, are excempt from this
requirement?)

Also, I note that /usr/doc/debian-policy/copyright (woody) has a
copyright for FSSTND, and it says "No portion of this document may be
redistributed in any modified or abridged form without the prior
approval of the FSSTND coordinator.".

Does this mean that the FSSTND should never have been distributed with
Debian? Obviously it must have been at one stage, or it wouldn't be in
the copyright file.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>