On Sun, Nov 10, 2002 at 10:46:03PM -0600, Chris Lawrence wrote:
> Personally I'd hate to see useful things like the RFC and W3
> documentation packages go away, and it's still helpful in an advocacy

I am not sure why these standards are non-free, but IMHO the DFSG is too
strict if it doesn't allow these *open* standards in Debian. What next?
Move all software that implements these "non-free" standards to
non-free? I don't think so...

Maybe some special section is required for open standards, as I don't
think the usual restrictions (eg. must be allowed to modify) should
apply as such to these standards.

If these standards are going to be removed from Debian as they have been
classified "non-free", I would object to this proposal.

These standards are a very important part of Debian software, and as
such I think they should remain with Debian.

(then again; I don't see any RFC documentation packages in Debian, did I
miss something?).
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>