Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 10:34:19AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 04:41:45PM +0200, Riku Voipio wrote:
> >
> > > the key issue. We have one outstanding issue with gcc-3.2 at the moment,
> > > which is that cmath on sparc doesn't work.
> >
> > Something is seriously wrong, if a single bug that affects a single
> > arch can stop everyone else from forward.
>
> You obviously didn't read all of aj's message.  How about you postpone
> your bitching along these lines until you've helped fix all the RC bugs
> in gcc 3.2 and glibc 2.3.1 that *do* affect i386?

    Not to defend Riku here, but I would point out that a mechanism to
shunt very buggy packages into experimental and replace them with a
previous known working version from snapshots would be a very useful
thing, and would have severely cut back on the amount of damage caused
by things like the recent libc6 transition.
    And no, I don't have the skill or the time to write such a
mechanism.  Please don't suggest that that removes any validity or
value of the suggestion.

--
Zed Pobre <zed@debian.org> a.k.a. Zed Pobre <zed@resonant.org>
PGP key and fingerprint available on finger; encrypted mail welcomed.