Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 07:46:20PM -0800, Brian Nelson wrote:
> "Noah L. Meyerhans" <noahm@debian.org> writes:
>
> > On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 08:41:43PM +0200, Riku Voipio wrote:
> > That's an interesting comparison.  If you look at NetBSD, you'll see
> > that they have a very similar problem to us:  They have a really slow
> > release cycle.  I think at some point it really does come down to the
> > size of the OS.  At some point, I suspect that the Debian community is
> > going to have to decide what it wants.  Will it be frequent, up-to-date
> > releases, or will it be support for every platform we can get our hands
> > on?  I don't think we can have both.
>
> What I fail to understand is why Debian insists on supporting every
> single arch itself.  Why not pick a handful of arches we do give a
> flying fuck about, support those, and if some organization wants to port
> Debian to another arch, then let them fork and support it themselves
> (like Redhat->Yellow Dog)?

  We have, there just happen to be 11 architectures we give a flying fuck
about.  I personally have Debian/sid on 4 1/2( x86, PPC32, SPARC, UltraSPARC,
MIPSel) and I enjoy them all.

  - Nick Lopez
    kimo_sabe@atdot.org
--
Besides, a sysadmin without a condescending attitude is like a donut without
jam. You can do it, but why bother?