Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 08:41:43PM +0200, Riku Voipio wrote:
> So, debian is coming the netbsd of Linuxes.. Sure a novel goal to
> support rare hardware, but why does ot have to come at the expense
> of commodity hardware owners?

That's an interesting comparison.  If you look at NetBSD, you'll see
that they have a very similar problem to us:  They have a really slow
release cycle.  I think at some point it really does come down to the
size of the OS.  At some point, I suspect that the Debian community is
going to have to decide what it wants.  Will it be frequent, up-to-date
releases, or will it be support for every platform we can get our hands
on?  I don't think we can have both.

People will undoubtedly say something to the effect of "well, if
somebody's willing to do the work to support some new architecture, we
shouldn't discourage them.  They're not interfering with our ability to
do our work."  Is that necessarily true, though?  It's been pretty
clearly stated that Debian will not release sarge until the new
installer is ready.  How long will we wait for the various ports to get
to an installable state?  If we wait indefinitely, that haven't the
ports that aren't yet ready interfered with the users and developers of
the other ports we support?'

I really wonder when debian-installer will be in a releasable state on
something like ARM or mipsel or s390.  I'm not convinced we will make a
release before 2005.

(As an aside, yes, I have started investigating porting debian-installer
to non-x86 architectures.  This is not because I give a flying fuck
about them, but because I can't stand the thought that it might take us
2 years to release sarge.  Personally, I'd rather drop support (in
sarge, not necessarily sid) for archs that aren't installable by some
deadline.)

noah