Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, Jon Kent wrote:
> As an example, I don't want or use KDE so I do not want KDE libs
> installed just because some package maintainer decided to enable the
> KDE support option on app xyz.  With Debian I have not choice

Not true. You can always rebuild the debian package to not require kde
libraries [if upstream supports such an option.]

> with Gentoo I do, I disable KDE support using the USE variable. Very
> easy to do.

And does this USE variable deal correctly with dependencies and
realizing that this package may or may not require KDE?

> it more about getting a higher degree of control over my workstation.

Control over one's workstation is definetly usefull. Yet, I fail to
see how debian doesn't give you a similar level of control [if not
more control, because you can decide *not* to build some random
package.]

That being said, if you still think there's a problem, do something
about it. Those of us who aren't bothered by it will continue to
ignore it.

Don Armstrong

--
I leave the show floor, but not before a pack of caffeinated Jolt gum
is thrust at me by a hyperactive girl screaming, "Chew more! Do more!"

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://www.anylevel.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu