Branden Robinson writes ("Re: Discussion - non-free software removal"):
> While we're on the subject, can you tell us whether or not the Social
> Contract was specifically one of the documents you had in mind when you
> wrote clause 4.1.5 of the Debian Constituion?  Could you answer the same
> question about the DFSG?

Sorry about the delay replying, it's been chaos at work and I've not
had much time ...

Yes, the Social Contract and DFSG were exactly those kind of things.
You may recall that in the latter part of my term as leader, I
proposed a rewrite of the DFSG.  At the time, no-one suggested that a
supermajority would be required to pass it.  (The actual proposal died
of general lack of support.)

Ian.