Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 07:27:06PM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 12:01:12PM +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:
>
> >> Current cost of hard disk is something between $1.00 and $1.50 per
> >> gigabyte.
>
> > it's not just the cost of disk space, it's the cost of bandwidth too
> > - and recurring bandwidth expenses cost a LOT more than disks
> > (once-off capital expenditure)
>
> Are you referring to the increase in bandwidth requirements for the
> mirroring itself?

yep.

i wouldn't mind so much if all the extra i386 kernels were in a separate
subdirectory under pool/main/k/ - then there would be no need to update
regexp exclusion patterns every time there's a new i386 compatible
architecture or a new compile-time option.

it would still be wasteful, but a lot easier to manage.

> I wouldn't expect an increase in the number of available kernels to
> lead to an increase in the number of kernel packages users need to
> have installed.

right, no significant increase.  those who upgrade every day know that
it costs them, and it only affects them if they use the debian-supplied
kernels rather than compile their own.  at worst, it's probably less
than 10MB per week.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>