Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 05:48:47PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Michael Stone <mstone@debian.org> writes:

> > On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 02:07:00PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > >The habits (and I have them too) of thinking that disk space is costly
> > >are really old habits that it's time to break.

> > No, it's not. Low end disks are cheap. High end disks still aren't.

> Disks are still $1 per gigabyte.  IDE disks are more than sufficient
> for this task, aren't they?  Other disks run--omigosh--up to $2 per
> gigabyte.

There's "how much does disk space cost?", and then there's "we have x
disk space available currently, and no budget for expansion right now;
we only use y GB of it; how much can we mirror with the free disk space
as a service to the community?"

I don't imagine everyone is going to be able to buy additional disks for
their mirror servers just to accomodate Debian.  I'm pretty sure *no*
one's going to add a $5, 5GB HD to their mirror server if that's how
much Debian pushes them over their current capacity.  There are likely
to be some trade-offs if Debian takes on packages that mirror operators
consider "useless bloat".  Then again, we seem to have a large number of
mirror operators well-snowed as it is right now, so maybe a few more GB
won't make a difference. ;)

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer