Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 02:54:17PM -0800, Philip Brown wrote:
> In some senses, debian was the ORIGINAL "make it easy on the user"
> linux distribution. That was one of the major things that set it apart,
> through the magic of apt-get.
>
> The concept of easy upgrades, coupled with reliable results, made it a win
> for an end-user experience.
>
> Now the basic standard of "end user experience" has been raised. Now
> not only does it have to be easy to install, AND things to work together,
> but they expect them to look nice, be easy to use at the application level,
> etc.

[ snip weird shoot-em-up analogy ]

> I'm glad the desktop group is trying to address the issue. But it seems
> like the attitudes of debian developers in general need a serious
> adjustment.

Debian is, and always has been, user-friendly.  It's just picky about
who its users are.

<groan>

Seriously, I have always considered Debian the premiere distribution for
when you "just want things to work". Examples include servers, and
development platforms. I'm sure there are more examples. If I am serving
up a couple hundred thousand web pages per day/hour/whatever, or
developing software (perhaps *gasp* even commercial software!!! oh, the
horror) the last thing I need or want is a flaky operating system that
makes me hold it over my shoulder and pat it on the back until it burps
every day. I just don't have the time.

Thank you, Debian developers, for creating, maintaining, and extending
a system that _works_.

Did I mention how cool it is to have a wintel box and a sparc on my
desktop, and they both run Debian?  Makes what few  admin tasks
there are go that much faster.  It makes my life _easy_; that's what
software is supposed to do, or so I've been lead to believe.

Cheers,

  If man asks for many laws it is only because he is sure that his
  neighbor needs them; privately he is an unphilosophical anarchist,
  and thinks laws in his own case superfluous.
          -- Will Durant