Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 12:52:29PM -0600, Steve Greenland wrote:
> On 20-Nov-02, 09:51 (CST), Steve Langasek <vorlon@netexpress.net> wrote:
> > ...I suspect that even 5% is an overestimation, as this would be a
> > pretty serious savings over the lifetime of a computer.

> Assuming the processor is 100% busy, or even 50% busy, sure. But with
> rare exception they're not, and if they are, then you build your own
> versions of the critical programs/libraries.

And what about modern x86 processors, which scale their clock speed down
(and therefore use less energy) when they're less busy?  If you can get
5% more work done per clock cycle by using optimizations, you can also
get the same work done in 5% fewer clock cycles.  Are the x86 power
saving modes fine grained enough to make this a worthwhile savings?

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer