Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

Andrew Lau wrote:
> 	The question I want to pose today is "Are we losing users to
> Gentoo?" I hate to sound like a marketing departmen drone, but I'm
> becoming more and more disturbed since I'm noticing more and more
> 'random' outbursts on message boards about how 'cool' Gentoo
> is. Whatever happened to all the Debian evangelists?

I see a lot of gentoo advocacy posts on forums like slashdot, but have
not seen much corresponding move to gentoo amoung the technically clued
in any mailing lists I'm on. There may be a bit of a team os/2 effect
here.

> 	Whenever someone rants about Gentoo's processor optimisations
> and states some overinflated performance boost such as 10%-20%

It seems to me that the place gentoo really innovates in not in
optimizations, but in conditional compilation. I understand that you can
build a gentoo system with just gnome, or without any gnome libraries,
or with gnome and kde, for instance. This is an area debian does not do
at all well in.

They also have a modern init system from what I've heard, something that
we are not exactly close to getting (hmh is doing some good work, but
it's rather overdesigned too in trying to support every possible init
system, instead of just picking one very good one and moving over to
it).

--
see shy jo