Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 12:41:19PM -0500, Mark Mealman wrote:

> But Debian's bleeding edge really tends to lag. What's KDE up to on
> testing, version 2.2? Mozilla is 1.0? Java's at 1.1?>

Java?

> It takes a lot of time for developers to gather the sources, compile
> binaries across all of Debian's supported platforms and make sure they
> play nice with other packages.

Are you suggesting that you would prefer the latest software, without the
integration that Debian provides?  If so, you can get this easily by
building from source.  Debian's value is entirely in making the packages
play nice together.

> Gentoo's portage system is also very apt-like, so it's not suprising you
> see a lot of Debian users over on the Gentoo forums.

It's much more ports-like than apt-like, from what I see.

--
 - mdz