Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 11:18:19AM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:

> It seems to me that the place gentoo really innovates in not in
> optimizations, but in conditional compilation. I understand that you can
> build a gentoo system with just gnome, or without any gnome libraries, or
> with gnome and kde, for instance. This is an area debian does not do at
> all well in.

It is true that Debian does not do well in this area, but it is not a gentoo
innovation.  Ports had this first, I believe.

> They also have a modern init system from what I've heard, something that
> we are not exactly close to getting (hmh is doing some good work, but
> it's rather overdesigned too in trying to support every possible init
> system, instead of just picking one very good one and moving over to
> it).

I have heard that as well, and gentoo has some freedom in experimenting with
such things because they are starting from scratch (likewise for using the
latest gcc, etc.).  They do not need to be concerned about compatibility,
upgrades, stability, or difficult transitions.  Nobody that I know is
running Gentoo on a production server, and the desktop users expect such
things because it is a relatively new system.

--
 - mdz