Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

Joey Hess wrote:

> It seems to me that the place gentoo really innovates in not in
> optimizations, but in conditional compilation. I understand that you can
> build a gentoo system with just gnome, or without any gnome libraries,
> or with gnome and kde, for instance. This is an area debian does not do
> at all well in.

How do you mean? I have one Debian system with no Gnome/KDE stuff at
all, and another with Gnome2 and no KDE; and I understand that Gnome and
KDE can both be installed (never tried it). So what is it that Gentoo is
doing better, exactly?

> They also have a modern init system from what I've heard, something that
> we are not exactly close to getting (hmh is doing some good work, but
> it's rather overdesigned too in trying to support every possible init
> system, instead of just picking one very good one and moving over to
> it).

In this case it might be a good idea to "just pick one very good one",
but I don't see much of a "pick one" attitude in Debian generally.

Craig