Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

Hi,

I actually used Gentoo on one of my machines, since I got curious by all the
hype around the LFS systems. And I must say it's a great system if you don't
mind recompiling major parts of your system every once and again. I like to
keep up to date, ie security updates, kde updates, etc and seeing that
building KDE is quite expensive.. about 5 to 6 hourse (yes.. it was not state
of the art hardware) I found it not really suitable for every day usage.

> Im not saying debian is bad technically, but there will always be room for
> improvement, if we dont evolve as fast as other distro's then its just a
> matter of time untill we are overtaken.

The faster Gentoo grows (updates etc) the more people will stop with it
because it takes long to compile, eats resources and slows down the system
considerably. I rather just do an dist-upgrade and drink some coffee rather
then having to kick it off at night and pray that it in fact does compile
(also a problem with LSF... it breaks easy).

> Gentoo's growth is a sign that they are doing something right, if we cant
> even recognise that fact then its pointless continuing this conversation.

I agree with most of the other posters, much of it is hype and a state of mind
'I compile it optimized, my system will be faster'.

Kindest regards,

Arjen Wiersma