Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 11:10:40PM +1100, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> Gentoo's growth is a sign that they are doing something right, if we cant
> even recognise that fact then its pointless continuing this conversation.

It's easy to grow when there's nowhere to go but up.

Debian hit the knee in the growth curve a few years ago, most likely.

Gentoo has yet to hit it.  But they *will* hit it.

And if they don't, well, then we'll need to take a look and see what we
can learn from them.

Personally, I think we already *have* learned something from them.

Package: apt-src
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 112
Maintainer: Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org>
Architecture: all
Version: 0.19
Depends: libapt-pkg-perl (>= 0.1.6), dpkg-dev, apt, perl (>= 5.6.0-16)
Recommends: sudo, fakeroot, build-essential
Filename: pool/main/a/apt-src/apt-src_0.19_all.deb
Size: 22212
MD5sum: d95931cafe83e7e6550ae8bc6d343b6f
 apt-src is a command line interface for downloading, installing, upgrading,
 and tracking Debian source packages. It makes source package management
 feel a lot like using apt to manage binary packages, and is being used as
 a testbed to work on adding source dependencies to Debian.
 .
 It can be run as a normal user, or as root. If you want a convenient way to
 track updates to packages while preserving your local modifications, this is
 a way to do that.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      "There is no gravity in space."
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      "Then how could astronauts walk