Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 11:02:40AM +0000, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 08:50:32PM +1100, Andrew Lau wrote:
> > 	The question I want to pose today is "Are we losing users to
> > Gentoo?"

> Hell yes, and it's great. The number of morons using Debian has
> noticably decreased since gentoo came on the scene; they now have
> something that will give them the stupid things they asked for, so
> they stop asking us for them.

<aol>

It seems people are making the suggestion that we are losing users to
Gentoo because Gentoo is technically superior, rather than because it's
the nifty-thing-of-the-day-to-do-on-the-Internet.  Given everything I
know of Debian and Gentoo, this doesn't seem plausible to me:  the only
reason I can think of for a Debian user to switch to Gentoo is that
Gentoo's installer is MORE masochistic than ours is, and this is what the
users want. ;)

Compiling everything from source is a waste of time, bandwidth, and
electricity.  While it's possible that there are features of their
packaging system that we might want to take advantage of, the key feature
that seems to attract the most attention to Gentoo is one I think we're
better off without.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer