On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 08:56:32PM +0100, Emile van Bergen wrote:

> > > It's not like developers working on packages in non-free will suddenly
> > > stop spending time on packages they use and need themselves and start
> > > work on some other packages.

> > Some may, others may not.  Do you presume to know with certainty the
> > mind of every Debian maintainer who packages non-free software?

> No. I only know myself a little and a few others a little less and
> extrapolate from there. And you?

> I'm just not overly optimistic about a sudden conception of new
> DFSG-free pine-lookalikes and qmail-workalikes and scilab-compatibles
> when *we* *merely* *stop* *maintaining* non-free.

> They will be written when people care enough about their restrictiveness
> to write them. As said, they don't disappear from the earth when the
> Debian Project stops distributing them. That fact in itself will not
> provide enough of an "itch" to scratch by developing alternatives. Only
> the software and its license can do that. Do you really think otherwise?

Against my better judgement, I've begun work on packaging a pine
lookalike wrapper script for mutt.  By and large, it at least seems to me
a more productive use of time than arguing at length about why non-free
should Go Away.  I'm hypothesizing that there are two main groups of
Debian pine users today -- power users who have invested serious effort
in customizing and learning pine and are not willing to reinvest that
effort in a new mailer, and not-so-power users who have invested their
entire quota in learning the basic pine keybindings. ;)  I believe the
latter group, at least, can be served by a pinealike that implements the
straightforward mailer features.

As for qmail, having once administered a mailserver based on this horror,
my personal view is that our users are best served by removing it from
non-free *without* providing a workalike. ;P

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer