On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 03:43:52PM +0100, Emile van Bergen wrote:
> > The debian project has to realise it has users and upstream maintainers
> > as well as the people who create packages.  Your GR totally ignores this
> > fact.
>
> Amen. We've /got/ to realise that serving the users is in the end the
> only goal.

Then you would have us amend the Social Contract:

    4. Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software

> I mean, let's not forget that it all started out because people wanted
> other people to have access to good software they could use, improve and
> share, and found existing software licensing too restrictive. Not to be

Exactly.  So what end does it serve, other than to be the "most influential
source" as you say below, to provide non-free?  What if we lose 1% of our
users because of it -- maybe we'll gain 5% down the road because we have
better Free Software?  Does it matter?