On Fri, 15 Nov 2002 at 03:50:38PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > > Personally, I've never had been worried by someone failing to cope with
> > > Debian distributing non-free software, so I'd rate the educational and
> > > political costs at zero too, but presumably other people's mileage have
> > > varied, and they can present some sort of repeatable analysis to back
> > > up their estimates of the problems that causes?
> > It's difficult to measure the impact of user confusion or charges of
> > hypocrisy.
>
> Doesn't mean you shouldn't try. Surely if user confusion is common
> enough to be worth worrying about, a list of messages in debian-user or
> debian-mentors should be easy to come up with? Or a list of comments
> on slashdot? Or something independently verifiable? How about giving
> everyone the credit of assuming that they'll be able to understand
> the flaws in any statistics or evidence you gather, and won't leap to
> unjustified conclusions unnecessarily?

If user confusion is the issue, why not just rename all non-free
packages to packagename-nf or packagename-nonfree or something of the
like?

Just a thought...don't toast me to hot with your flame throwers
please...

--
Phil

PGP/GPG Key:
http://www.zionlth.org/~plhofmei/
wget -O - http://www.zionlth.org/~plhofmei/key.txt | gpg --import
--
Excuse #207: Your modem doesn't speak English.