permissions of /etc/ppp

Why is /etc/ppp mode 0750 root:dip in the ppp package? The individual
files with passwords are not world readable, so I don't see the point of
making the directory have those strage permissions. Is it a relic of
an earlier time, or something we should maintain?

Also, note that a lot of packages that drop a file into /etc/ppp just
have the directory mode 755 root:root, so the end permissions of the
directory are somewhat random (whichever package happens to be installed
first).

We should at least make this consitent, and I filed some bugs on some of
those packages, but then couldn't think of why ppp gives the directory
those perms exactly. I'm also considering a dh_installppp and/or making
dh_fixperms do the right thing to that directory; but first I want to
make sure I know what the right thing is and why.

(All the bugs mentioned in the changelog entry for ppp 2.3.8-1 are not
available for reference.)

--
see shy jo