Re: Proposal - non-free software removal

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 11:31:20AM -0500, Jim Penny wrote:

>  to get the current version (or how to use xpdf).  satan should be
>  dropped.  A satan scan will tell you nothing about the security of your
>  system.  trn is questionable.  whirlgif should go. aXe should go.

	Speaking regarding 'satan': it will tell you security issues.
Hell, the 'trust' relationship is not done by any security scanner I know
of. I'ts out-of-date, yes, but it's pretty good proof-of-concept somebody
should re-implement in newer scanners.
	It's there, it's useful (if only to learn what vuln assesment
really is) and I'm against dropping it.

	Note that I'm also trying to get Dan & Wietse to re-license it.
Also, some new engines based on SATAN (Saint and Sara) are blatantly
breaking the license SATAN is distributed with (it's a "no commercial use
please" license).

	Regards

	Javi

PS: And Sara is even mixing it with GPL code! (Saint did it before it
switched licenses and turned propietary)