Re: URLs on debian.org/distrib/packages pages

Andreas Tille wrote:
> Great idea to fire up a browser from an apt frontend!!!

It could be a nice thing, unless it is abused so that you _have_ to look
at a bunch of web sites to pick what packages to install. Then it just
becomes annoying, and crippling for those without internet access. Which
is why I _don't_ want to see it in the package Descriptions.

> But I would vote for an extra control field instead of "anywhere in the
> Description", because this would enable us to add lintian checks once
> this is included into policy (which hopefully will not be in a far
> distance).

The last time this came up (3 years ago?), it foundered in concerns
about packages that have multiple upstream web sites and how to encode
that in the URI: field, or something silly like that. And I think
general apathy. Anyway, I'd second a reasonable policy proposal along
the lines you're suggesting, or along the lines Manoj is suggesting.
Anything is better than the status quo.

Data-point: rpm packages have an URL: field in the spec file, that goes
into the binary package, and holds a single URL. It seems to have worked
ok for them.

--
see shy jo