On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 12:55:37AM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> As opposed to those of who wouldn't mind ditching non-free and at the same
> time just so happen to not have any non-free packages installed? :>

Well, that doesn't describe me (not on my main i386 machine, at least):

             Non-free packages installed on apocalypse

gimp-nonfree              GIF and TIFF support for the GNU Image Manipulation Pr
libmagick4g-lzw           Image manipulation library (non-free version).
pgp-us                    Public key encryption system (US version)
xmame                     Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator
xmame-x                   X binaries for Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator

  5 non-free packages, 0.3% of 1478 installed packages.

None of the above are essential to me.  I haven't even used any of them
in years now, probably.  The only thing keeping them on my box is
inertia.

The first two are an odd case of DFSG-free but patent-encumbered
software.  IMO we should at some point tackle the case of what do about
software that is licensed DFSG-freely by the author but encumbered by a
third party, such as a patent holder or a speech-suppressing government.

Examples include:

* the LZW patent
* just about anything that has anything to with anything in the US, as
  long as a media company gets a bad attitude about it (the DMCA)
* alphabetized lists of words in the European Union (see debian-legal)
* certain texts and images in the European Union that qualify as "hate
  speech" (like Doom WAD files that have swastikas in the level maps)

> Surely we can all understand that people's needs differ, and that it is
> normal for people want to do something that benefits them, and don't want to
> do something that harms them?

We can understand it, but we should also take in consideration the
breadth of people's thought.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    The best place to hide something is
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    in documentation.