Re: URLs on debian.org/distrib/packages pages

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 11:38:43AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 11:23:52AM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > Le mer 13/11/2002 ? 10:58, David Goodenough a ?crit :
> > > I notice that ITPs carry URLs, and this is very useful in understanding
> > > what it to be packaged.  However the packages pages do not carry URLs
> > > to help potential users of existing packages.  Would it be possible to
> > > add them?
> >
> > It is possible, as the package pages handle URLs. Some maintainers put
> > the upstream URLs in their packages' descriptions, but the policy
> > doesn't mandate them.
>
> Policy does mandate them, but in the copyright file, not the package
> description.
>
>         13.6 Copyright information
>
>         [...]
>         In addition, the copyright file must say where the upstream
>         sources (if any) were obtained, and should explain briefly what
>         modifications were made in the Debian version of the package
>         compared to the upstream one.
>         [...]
Note that having a url (or multiple urls) sitting randomly in the
copyright file does not help in getting them on the packages web pages.

Every time this has been brought up in the past, the web team has
stated that upstream urls will be added they are available in a
standard place in an standard format.

--
James (Jay) Treacy
treacy@debian.org