Re: suggestion: DFDG - Debian Free Documentation Guidelines [was: Discussion - non-free software removal]

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 04:20:32PM +0100, Martin Wuertele wrote:
> * John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> [2002-11-13 16:00]:
>
> > Wrong.  If you have the right to modify a piece of software for your own
> > purposes, why should you not have the right to modify its documentation to
> > state what you have done?
>
> This applies for docs generated out of a package but not e.g. for RFCs
> (see the doc-rfc-* problem) and Books like selfhtml. My intention was to
> set up guidelines for requirements for these type of docs. Current DFSG
> talkes about GPL, BSD and Artistic licenses, what about the Open
> Publication License, Free Documentation License,...?

	That's what we are trying to do at the DDP group. There has been *a
lot* of discussion on these issues both at debian-doc and debian-legal, a
ddp-policy in on the works [1] , that will substitute the current policy [2].
The license section [3] has not been written completely (I've not have time to
go through all the old threads discussing this in order to document the
decissions already taken in this matter).

	So, if you want to help up setting guidelines then propose a writeup
for that section, but *please* first go through all the debian-legal/debian-doc
threads regarding documentation licenses. I have around 400ks of mails to parse
related to this issue (that's more than 7000 lines of text). If you feel like
going through it you are welcome.

	In any case the Debian sub-policy regarding licenses will be pretty
similar in the end to the TLDP's [4] (which has also discussed long on this
stuff also and has established a policy already [5]).

	Regards

	Javi

PS: I wanted to present the ddp-policy at debian-{devel,policy} document when
it got into a usable state... you asked for it, anyway.

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/ddp-policy/ddp-policy.en.html
[2] http://www.debian.org/doc/docpolicy
[3] http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/ddp-policy/ch-common.en.html#s2.2
[4] http://www.tldp.org/LDP/LDP-Author-Guide/index.html