On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 08:47:57AM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> If the non-free support is so weak that nobody cares enough to put a little
> bit of work into it, that says something about how little we care about
> non-free here, doesn't it?

It's less effort to maintain non-free as part of Debian, than separate
from it. Duplicating the archive, authentication, and maintenance of the
mirror network are all things that take time and that are demonstrably
unnecessary for any technical reason.

If people *are* going to do this, then your goal to have people who might
otherwise be working on free software waste less time on non-free software
isn't being achieved, and, in fact, quite the opposite is happening.

Likewise, it's generally more effort to maintain an installer package,
than not. See also the comments about managing contrib packages for
testing if non-free disappears.

Cheers,
aj