Re: Migration of non-free packages to testing

I demand that Jules Bean may or may not have written...

> On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 07:23:39PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
>>> there is no problem with that. You can take the output of an disassembler
>>> and publish it, if the copyright holder does allow it.
>>   /usr/share/doc/spectrum-roms/zx82.htm
>> ... but I'm not sure it's canonical yet.
>> Anyway, certainly there is nothing anyone outside Amstrad can do to
>> produce a completely free Spectrum emulator, in contrast to the usual case
>> where a reimplementation can be created.

> Well, presumably one could, theoretically, produce a clean-room
> implementation of the ROM

*That* ROM, perhaps; it also gets you somewhere near halfway to producing
'clean' implementations of the ROMs for the 128K and +2, and about one
quarter of the way to producing a set of ROM images for the +3.

> by creating an implementation of the interface which is expected by the
> Amstrad software out there. [...]

"Amstrad software" is generally interpreted as meaning software for the CPC
and PCW ranges. You mean "Sinclair software".

--
| Darren Salt       | nr. Ashington, | linux (or ds) at
| Linux PC, Risc PC | Northumberland | youmustbejoking
| No Wodniws here   | Toon Army      | demon co uk
|   Retrocomputing: a PC card in a Risc PC

I am a man - nothing human is alien to me.