Re: Migration of non-free packages to testing

On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 04:16:42PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> The social contract happens to abbreviate "The Debian GNU/Linux
> distribution" as "Debian", when you come along and abbreviate "The
> Debian project" as Debian too, things become confusing. So, obviously,
> you shouldn't do that.

> If you're worried about the confusion in the use of phrases like "Debian
> Will Remain 100% Free Software", then the obvious fix is to clarify
> the ambiguity. If you want the Debian project to have nothing to do
> with non-free software, then you should stop confusing the issue --
> and presumably yourself -- by focussing on ambiguities.

Yup.  While we're at it, let's not leave the Debian Project's
non-GNU/Linux products in an undefined state.  There's also Debian
GNU/Hurd and Debian GNU/NetBSD -- these ports are mature enough that
they self-host XFree86, so I consider them fairly far along.  :)

The Social Contract in its current form could be read to imply that the
rules that apply to Debian GNU/Linux don't apply to these other
distributions of ours, and that is not our intent.

> If you're not going to follow that advice, for consistency's sake,
> you probably should note that according to the first point of the
> social contract also says "we will never make the system depend on an
> item of non-free software"; so if you're wanting to treat that point
> as applying to _everything_ Debian distributes, you should probably be
> arguing contrib should be dropped too.

I personally would like to see the SC changed such that we can
distribute anything as official Debian product as long as it is
DFSG-free, which would include stuff in contrib.  But I may be biased
because I maintain a package in contrib.  If giving up autobuilding for
xtrs is what it takes to reach closure on this issue, then I'm willing
to give up autobuilding for xtrs.

G. Branden Robinson                |    I am sorry, but what you have
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    mistaken for malicious intent is
branden@debian.org                 |    nothing more than sheer
http://people.debian.org/~branden/ |    incompetence!     -- J. L. Rizzo II