Re: Migration of non-free packages to testing

On Sun, Nov 10, 2002 at 10:04:56PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> writes:
> > You do realise that Debian *is* associated with them at the moment though,
> > right, and will continue to be until a GR is passed to change that?
> Yes, of course I realize that.  But if the line between what is in
> Debian and what is not is as confusing and difficult to navigate as
> you suggest, with there being "Debian packages" on Debian's servers,
> but which are "not part of Debian", this all seems like an elaborate
> fiction.

Personally, I don't find it complicated at all. The "Debian GNU/Linux
distribution", which is what the social contract says will be "entirely
free software" is debian/dists/woody/main/* and contains only free
software. The Debian project, which is the "we" who the social contract
says "have created `contrib' and `non-free' areas in our FTP archive for
this software', maintains and distributes all the software under debian/
which does include some non-free software, and some free software that
requires non-free software.

The social contract happens to abbreviate "The Debian GNU/Linux
distribution" as "Debian", when you come along and abbreviate "The
Debian project" as Debian too, things become confusing. So, obviously,
you shouldn't do that.

If you're worried about the confusion in the use of phrases like "Debian
Will Remain 100% Free Software", then the obvious fix is to clarify
the ambiguity. If you want the Debian project to have nothing to do
with non-free software, then you should stop confusing the issue --
and presumably yourself -- by focussing on ambiguities.

If you're not going to follow that advice, for consistency's sake,
you probably should note that according to the first point of the
social contract also says "we will never make the system depend on an
item of non-free software"; so if you're wanting to treat that point
as applying to _everything_ Debian distributes, you should probably be
arguing contrib should be dropped too.

Cheers,
aj