Re: Migration of non-free packages to testing

On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 08:26:57PM +0100, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 01:11:01PM -0500, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > non-free.  The reasoning is something like "apt-gettable -> free".
>
> this will be wrong even if we remove non-free from our servers. It is
> better to educate the users than to try to protect them from their own
> ignorance.  And then still, you will fail :)

The basis for this misunderstanding is that the packages in question are
distributed by archives under the "Debian" umbrella, such as the
{http,ftp}.<iso-3166>.debian.org mirrors.  Users perceive this software as
coming "from Debian", where "Debian" is some amalgam of Debian (the OS), and
Debian (the project).  Debian (the OS), includes only free software.  Debian
(the project) distributes Debian (the OS), as well as a bunch of other,
non-free software which looks a lot like everything else that the user gets
from Debian.

--
 - mdz