Re: Migration of non-free packages to testing

On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 05:51:31PM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:

> tb@becket.net (Thomas Bushnell, BSG) writes:
>
> > What makes you think I don't want .debs of non-free software to exist?
> > I don't want Debian to be officially associated with them, that's
> > all.
>
> A bit of anecdotal evidence: I've seen arguments like, "GraphViz is
> part of Debian, so it has to be free software" *many* times.

I have heard this kind of statement frequently as well.  People do
understand that Debian is free software, but they do not necessarily
understand or notice the (academic) distinction between "Debian" and
non-free.  The reasoning is something like "apt-gettable -> free".

--
 - mdz