Re: Debian versioning scheme (r1 vs .1)

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 08:26:16AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> There are four options at present:
>
> 	* make boot-floppies (the installer we've always used) work
> 	* make PGI work
> 	* make debian-installer work
> 	* write something else new
>
> Each of these have a fairly vast array of problems, and debian-installer
> is the only one that has people actively working on fitting it into
> Debian, as far as I'm aware. (From what I've seen, it's intended more
> as something third parties can use to install Debian, than something
> for Debian itself; I'm happy to be corrected on this)

Debian-installer is intended more as something third parties can use to
install Debian, than something for Debian itself?

If you meant PGI, then you're wrong.  PGI has never been intended as
something for use "more" by third parties.

It is simply intended as an alternative to the existing Debian
installation system for the architectures where it works.

If it were intended mostly for third party use it never would have been
released to Debian unstable.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      Never underestimate the power of
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      human stupidity.