Re: Debian versioning scheme (r1 vs .1)

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 10:27:38PM +0100, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 07:20:43AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > Get me a working installer in, say, three months, and I think we could
> > manage that. Give me one within two months and I'd be about as willing
> > to guarantee it as I'd be willing to guarantee anything.
> Well, since the installer/boot-floppy stuff is always mentioned as one of
> the reasons for the delay, which it is surely not, we could simple release
> 3.1 with the current installer/boot floppies. No?

Nope: glibc and numerous other stuff have changed so it no longer builds.
There's also probably a new kernel (2.6) to cope with, which tends to
be difficult at best, and there's the ever present pressur to improve
internationalisation and other features. Note that *everything* has to
fit into around 2.88MB in the boot-floppies model.

We *tried* "simply releasing with the current boot-floppies" for woody
-- it took about twelve months between having people start working on
them and getting a finished product. And we're in a worse state now:
most of the experienced people, particularly Adam, don't want to go
through that again.

> New versions of packages and a new installer is realy independend from each
> other.

Unfortunately they're not. They *ought* to be, though. Making things that
way is one of the goals of the new installer, but it's not working yet.

There are four options at present:

	* make boot-floppies (the installer we've always used) work
	* make PGI work
	* make debian-installer work
	* write something else new

Each of these have a fairly vast array of problems, and debian-installer
is the only one that has people actively working on fitting it into
Debian, as far as I'm aware. (From what I've seen, it's intended more
as something third parties can use to install Debian, than something
for Debian itself; I'm happy to be corrected on this)

Cheers,
aj